This spring, 22 creative aging programs have engaged seniors in everything from memoir writing to line dance, creative movement to chorus, theatrical readings to exhibitions of prints, paintings, murals, and sculpture! Join us this June for events at senior centers throughout Brooklyn, celebrating and sharing the artistic work of these seniors.
• June 4 – Theater: “The Football Wedding” a dramatic reading, with SPARC Artist Michole Biancosino, at The Lodge Senior Center, Bensonhurst
• June 10 – Dance: “Everyday Waters” with SPARC Artist Emily Wexler, at JCC of Greater Coney Island
• June 11 – Bomba Yo! performance in celebration of Father’s Day at Wyckoff Garden Senior Center, Boerum Hill (supported by Councilmember Levin)
• June 12 – Painting: “Momentos” Exhibition, with SPARC Artist LJ Lindhurst, at Prospect Hill Senior Center, South Park Slope
• June 20 – The Dixie Rascals performance in celebration of Father’s Day at St. Frances Cabrini Young at Hearts Club, Dyker Heights (supported by Councilmember Gentile)
• June 20 – Creative Theater: “If I Ruled the World” luncheon, with SPARC Artist Mahayana Landowne, at Albany Neighborhood Senior Center, Crown Heights
• June 20 – Ceramic Tile Mural Unveiling with SPARC Artist Jennifer Wade, at JASA Scheuer House, Coney Island
• June 27, 28, 29 – Theater: “Memory” an original play for intergenerational audiences by seniors at St. Charles Jubilee Senior Center, with SPARC Artists Annie Montgomery & Lauren Jost, hosted at Jalopy Theater, Red Hook
Seniors Partnering with Artists Citywide (SPARC) is a community arts engagement program that places artists-in-residence at senior centers across the five boroughs of New York City. In addition to the 13 SPARC programs, BAC creative aging programs include professional performances at senior centers, teaching artist residencies, and workshops! Teaching artist Kate Bell is devising theater with seniors at Park Slope Senior Center and Renée Manning & Douglas Booth are leading a chorus at Prospect Hill Senior Center through the support of Councilmember Lander. At St. Augustine and Phillip Howard Senior Centers, BAC teaching artists Pamella Allen, Cheryl Paswater, Yelimara Concepcion, and Earlene Greene are leading visual arts and dance residencies supported by Councilmember Williams.
Join us this June in celebrating and sharing the artistic work seniors have been engaged in this spring! Keep checking the BAC calendar as we continue adding events.